CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, March 31, 2011

An Organic Dilemma

On my new diet I am supposed to eat one egg for breakfast every morning (preferably hard boiled).  So I went to the store because I knew I was out of eggs.  I think I stood at the egg case for 5 minutes trying to decide if it was worth the extra money to buy a dozen organic eggs.  I had read a blog about fresh eggs and that may be even better but I decided that I am giving up a dollar a day fountain drink so I could afford to splurge and buy a dozen organic eggs. 

I have to back track a little......

In college I took cooking classes, pretty much any class I could fit into my schedule and I remember a discussion on eggs that has always stuck with me.  Basically the instructor stated that in the spring the egg farmers start stalking up on eggs for Easter.  So by the time they make it to the store they could be very old.....the thought of this is just disgusting to me.  They have a sell by date but, that the is the FDA "required" date, and there is no date as to when the actual egg was laid. 

So as I am standing there at the egg case this memory is running through my brain and I am looking at these gorgeous brown eggs and I decided ok I will buy one of each.  One dozen regular white dye-able and then one dozen brown "organic" eggs. 


When I got a chance I googled boiling the perfect egg and they were all about the same (except the one that said using old eggs makes it easier to peel(umm that is what I am trying to avoid)).   So that night I went home and put 4 brown eggs into a pot of room temp water and turned the heat up to high.  Once the water started to boil I turned the heat off and put the lid on the pan, turned the timer on for 10 minutes and let them sit.  When the time went off I started to run luke warm water slowly cooling the water until the eggs where cool enough to handle.   Then I peeled them, awww beautiful no sticky shells.

The next morning for breakfast I pulled out my hard boiled egg and warmed it in the microwave just to take the chill off.  When I cut into this egg it was awesome.  No green line around the yolk (yuck) just perfect white and yellow egg and (maybe it is all in my head but) it was so yummy!

I ate my second boiled egg on Wednesday and it was the same thing, so yummy and no green ring!

I gave Terry my other 2 boiled eggs, so this morning I grabbed an egg and carefully carried it to work where I scrambled it in the microwave, I broke the egg into a bowl and added about 2 tablespoons of milk, salt and pepper and mixed it with a fork.  I cooked it for 30 seconds then mixed it with my fork and stuck it back in for another 30 seconds.  It was all done.  I fluffed it with the fork and got my toast.  It looked so good and tasted really good. 

Well if I had been thinking that I was going to tell the world about my eggs, I would have cooked the regular white dye-able eggs at the same time and really do a comparison.  I will do that tomorrow.

So even if it is in my head I am pretty well convinced that organic eggs are so worth the extra buck.  I will still buy a couple dozen dye-able eggs for Easter but, I am not promising to eat them. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment